Here’s a quick and easy recipe for paneer makhani, one of the most popular gravies which you order in a restaurant.
What makes it special is the creamy and dreamy gravy and soft cubes of paneer with the aroma of whole spices. To top all of that, this recipe contains no onion or garlic and still tastes awesome. Feel free to add them if that’s your thing and make this recipe your own. Enjoy!
Paneer MakhaniCourse: Dinner, LunchCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
- Whole spices
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 dried red chilli
1 small stick cinnamon
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
2 medium tomatoes diced
200g paneer cubed
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp crushed kasuri methi
2 tsp honey
2 tbsp of cream
salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add 1 tsp cumin seeds to a pan when it is sufficiently hot.
- To that, add all the whole spices and cook them till they’re fragrant.
- At this stage, add diced tomatoes, cashews and a pinch of salt to taste. Let this cook for 3-4 minutes till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add 150ml water to the pan, put the lid on, and cook for 6-7 minutes on medium flame. Once done, remove the pan from heat and let it cool down.
- Add the cooled mixture to a mixer-grinder and blend it to a gravy consistency.
- Wipe out the pan that was used initially and heat 1 tbsp of oil and 1tbsp butter in it.
- To that, add 1tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida, let it sputter for 30 secs and then add the blended gravy. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cubed paneer, kasuri methi, garam masala, cream and chopped coriander. Mix well!
- Paneer makhani is now ready, transfer to a bowl garnish with some cream, chopped coriander and serve hot with garlic naan or lachha paratha.
- If you don’t like the stems in Kasuri Methi as I do just heat it in a pan till it is crunchy and fragrant, crush it in a mortar pestle. Do this in bulk and you now have Kasuri Methi powder available whenever you want to add extra flavor to your curries sans stems :).
- Want soft Paneer for the gravy? Just microwave the cubed paneer in a bowl of water for 1 min and voila, soft paneer is ready.